Some Recent Graduates Fill Us in on Their Accomplishments
- Accepted to the University of Illinois School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Certified high school science teacher currently working on my MAT (Master's in the Art of Teaching).
- Beginning my certification to be an arts educator, currently teaching at a DeKalb school. Dean's List three semesters running with a 4.0. Scholarship winner of the winter art show. Honors student, Lower division honors completed. Currently paired with a graphic designer to do some extra art work. Regularly commissioned artwork. To see my university work you can click here: http://annegriffin101.blogspot.com/
- Internship with the United States Marshals Service.
- Co-op at Advance Micro Devices as a server platform engineer, and summer internship as an IOS developer. May 2014 I'll be moving out to California to start my career with Boeing in the Defense, Space & Security, working in the Advance Technology Project group.
- Year-long paid internship in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at The University of Chicago Medicine.
- Dean's list for three semesters with a 4.0, studying Political Science at UIC, minor in French and History, and working on getting an internship at a law firm.
- Summer internship at the State Farm Research and Development Center in the Strategic Resources Department.
- Associates in nursing in the honors program at ECC, Dean's list, member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, nominated for the International Scholar Laureate Program (ISLP).
- Year-long internship with the Department of Justice's Office of Immigration Litigation, writing a thesis for Honors in English, accepted into the 5 year BA/MA program and working at the Writing Center for 3 years.
- Graduated PSU with an internship with GE under my belt and a study abroad in Brazil. Currently working for a clearing house and in the process of obtaining my Series 3.
- ISU BS in criminal justice. Interned with McHenry County Conservation District and now interning with Dept. Health & Human Services, Office of the Inspector General, Office of Investigations. Partner with FBI DEA and others to investigate White Collar Crime. Dean’s List, graduate with high honors. Member of some academic honor fraternities.
- Finishing off my B.A. in English with two research projects (on Donne's contradictions and on Virginia Woolf's writing practices) to be awarded departmental honors. Also, am on the cusp of finishing my first novel that I plan to self-publish later this year.
- Seeking an art education degree. Received a transfer scholarship from NIU in the fall for outstanding grades, Dean’s List multiple semesters. Hoping to be a high school art teacher.
- Graduated in '01, played Division I tennis at Belmont University and majored in English. JD from Hamline University School of law. Graduated with honors from both. Opened a law practice in Elgin with my attorney-husband and now am instructional coordinator of paralegal at ECC.
- Doctor of Obstetrics in Wisconsin.
- Currently getting a master's in public health. Starting med school this fall, have 5 acceptances (U of WI, U of CO, Rush, U of Pittsburgh, Mt Sinai) 3 of which are full scholarships. Have published 4 research articles and been hired by Brown University (2009) and Johns Hopkins (2012- with a relocation to South Africa!) to work in research projects. Did my thesis in Ghana and presented it to the National government, and later became the basis of reform in their food security programs. Gap year abroad teaching in China and volunteering in a slum in Brazil. Absolutely the foundation of all my adult accomplishments and perspectives and it would have been impossible without the awesome support of the Academy teachers and students.
- Dean's list for three semesters as well with a 3.81 GPA. Pursuing a BS in Biological Sciences (merely a glorified term for "Biology") with a double minor in Music and Psychology. A member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Seating for my EMT licensure exam this Saturday. I will be volunteering at RUSH hospital soon in the spring as well. Managing an a cappella team too (non-competitive).
- Honored with the Ellis and Associates Golden Guard Award (a national lifeguard award), received the 2013 Lincoln Student Laureate Award for Trinity Christian College, internship at Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, will graduate with a double major and double minor this May(2014), and have been accepted to the ACMNP program. (This is A Christian Ministry in the National Parks in which I'll be living in Yellowstone National Park this summer working and doing ministry.)
- MS in Library and Information Science, to be completed May 2014. I'm specializing in youth services librarianship. I am a Graduate Assistant in Youth Services at the Urbana Free Library. This position is normally only awarded to second years, but I got it in my first year because of previous experience. I am also working on an internship at another area library, Mahomet Public Library, also in Children's Services. I have also taught a youth services librarianship class session on story time and programming for youth.
- Director of Marketing (my bio on the company website: http://www.dmkrestaurants.com/about-us/) and have written a bunch of articles for Serious Eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/user/profile/leb316
- Majored in accounting with a certificate in global business culture at U of I, attending Harvard Business School, and work at Deloitte Consulting in Strategy. And here's an article about me: http://www.dailyillini.com/article_9817f7ea-b10f-11e2-90f8-0019bb30f31a.html
- Majored in Urban Planning and minored in Environmental Science, interned at the city of Palatine’s Urban Planning Department and now work for the city of Barrington's Urban Planning department.
- I am currently a first year in vet school at University of Illinois.
- Internships at Fieldglass (a software company in Naperville), interned in Minneapolis as a software developer with Medtronic. Graduated early with a degree in Computer Engineering and now working as a software developer for General Motors.
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on fluids and thermal science from Bradley University. Thesis project was done for Los Alamos National Laboratory on a helium cooling system for a molybdenum-99 production system (in a nutshell this will potentially be used for creating radioisotopes used in nuclear medical imaging). Also had other projects that I did for them as an undergrad.
- Marketing and Graphic Design business (www.bethfirsching.com).
- Multiple scholarship recipient while at Miami University Ohio. Link: http://miamioh.edu/news/article/view/17000 The Koehler Prizes are awarded to outstanding freshmen and/or sophomore students who have been nominated by their MTH 222 or MTH 331 instructors (Linear Algebra and Discrete Math respectively). The Western & Southern scholarship is awarded to an outstanding actuarial science sophomore at Miami University. Softball player all four years at Miami University, earning my varsity letter each year. President’s List, Dean’s List, MAC Commissioner's Award, MAC Honor Roll. Member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Accepted a full-time data analyst position with CareCore National in Bluffton, SC.
- May 2012 Bachelor's of Science Molecular and Cellular Biology from the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, Undergraduate Researcher May 2010-August 2011 Independent research project studying the molecular mechanisms of regeneration in planarian flatworms. Fall 2011-Spring 2012 YWCA Women in Leadership Program Developed a business proposal to solve issues faced by the local branch of the Special Olympics. Implemented the first phase of the proposal effectively doubling participation in local programs. Photographer for the Illio yearbook September 2009-2010 Photos featured in the 2010 Illio Developed training materials for 15 incoming photographers.Liberal Arts and Sciences Merit Scholarship 2011-2012 SMART scholarship semifinalist September 2009
- Enrolled in PhD in mythological studies with an emphasis in depth psychology at Pacifica Graduate Institute. Working at Laguna Blanca College prep high school in Santa Barbara, CA.
- Graduated from West Point, promoted from Second Lieutenant to First Lieutenant. Currently a platoon leader in charge of 32 enlisted soldiers who operate the communications equipment in my unit.
- Double major in Chemistry and Accounting at UIC, my Commander's Leadership Scholarship for Air Force ROTC, received the Most Valuable Cadet of the Semester award for ROTC, unofficially secured an internship for next summer(2015) at Deloitte (Largest accounting firm in the world).
- Teach English at a Chinese university and have been living in China for two years now. Passed the HSK 4 exam (Chinese language exam).
- IInterned for CBS-Chicago, interned for the ABC affiliate in Minneapolis. First place in the semifinals for the national Hearst Journalism Awards in the category of Television Feature Reporting. Here's a story on it from our campus newspaper: http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/unl-student-jenna-jaynes-wins-st-place-in-st-round/article_b58b3578-7cd2-11e3-bbf2-001a4bcf6878.html Working on two more pieces to go against the top ten students in the nation for the second round in March. Here's links to the two pieces that won: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le-ZCy9pv6Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlC_1nMTfSY The flag corps piece also took honorable mention in the Broadcast Education Association's Television Features Category. Co-producing a documentary about Native American women in Oklahoma. It is called "Native Daughters: Oklahoma." The final project will be a full color magazine, an interactive website and a 60-minute documentary. When the website is eventually launched it will be at this link: http://cojmc.unl.edu/nativedaughters2/#sthash.X4I5WqHm.dpbs. There is just placeholder text in there for right now.
Triple major in Broadcasting, English and Journalism (news-editorial).
UNL student Jenna Jaynes wins 1st place in 1st round of Hearst competition
During the Hearst Broadcasting Television News Competition, University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Jenna Jaynes won first place in the competition’s first round.
- Graduated from UIC with a bachelor in economics, currently at Roosevelt university college of pharmacy - received the Carlene Verstraete Outstanding Service Award (Illinois residence hall association - 2011) -current research: developing a protease inhibitor that could provide an optimal HIV drug that withstands the current issue of resistance.
Undergrad positions: 1) resident assistant (campus housing) 2) assistant director of service initiatives (national residence hall honorary)
Grad school positions: 1) president (academy of managed care pharmacy RU student chapter) 2) community service chair (student society of health system pharmacists RU student chapter) 3) member (kappa psi pharmaceutical fraternity & American Pharmacists Association)
Received PharmD in May(2014).
- In medical school at Rosalind Franklin.
- Graduate degree in marine biology in Texas.
- Student Director for a local branch of a non-profit organization, and was just promoted to Northwest Suburbs Director.
- Bachelor's and Master’s degree in architecture.
- TFA teacher teaching Spanish, and Reading development in Eastern Kentucky. Founding Learning team leader for the region (plan and deliver professional development for TFA Spanish teachers in this region). Asked to present at our county-wide Professional development seminar last summer after my first year of teaching. In college, awarded research honors for a creative project in poetry (this was a big deal at my college) and began a 1,000 Journals project there too, co-editor in chief of a literary magazine.
- In the Navy, one of the very few people who are being taken on for nuclear engineering training (something like one of 20 in the country).
- Employed at the Shedd Aquarium.
- Starting Masters in Electrical & Computer Engineering @ UIUC in the Fall 2014 in the Embedded & Cyber Physical Systems Group. Accepted to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science -James Scholar @ UIUC. Industry: -Member IEEE, ACM -Working for Alcatel-Lucent as a Software Developer for LTE Network Testing Tools, Coop; Worked at National Instruments as an RF Software Intern. Other: - 1st Place, EOH 2013 - Neural Prosthetic Control (with Isaac Dupree!) - Director of Initiate Affairs, HKN Alpha Chapter (IEEE Honor Society)
- University of Iowa Dean's list for three semesters running along with being on track to graduate with University Honors and a certificate in Museum Studies. Library of Congress Junior Fellow summer intern for summer 2014.
- Summer 2013, completed an internship with the Robert A. Pritzker Center for Meteoritics and Polar Studies at the Field Museum of Natural History. Now hired to the Center on a semi-permanent basis to perform research on meteorites using geological and chemical methodology. Awarded an internship next summer(2014) with the Lunar and Planetary Institute (The geology branch of NASA). University of Chicago's Dean's list for two years.
- Accepted a job as an intellectual property analyst for a medical devices group at Global Prior Art in Boston, MA.
- Winner of a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship in 2010 which took me to Bogotá, Colombia to do my masters in bilingual education. I am currently a professor of English and sociocultural studies at.the Universidad de los Andes (ranked 4th in universities in South America).
- Associate in arts all honors from ECC, Bachelors in human services emphasis in child welfare from Kaplan University all honors as well there.Obtaining a masters in social work concentration in child welfare. Internship at the Community Crisis Center.
- Spring and summer 2013 internship for Senator Chris Coons from Delaware.
- Neuroscience/Pre-Dental major at UIC with a running 4.0 in senior standing. GPPA dentistry (guaranteed admission to dental school). Intern at a huge dental office for the past year. Assisting with some oral cancer research on campus. Coded a blank Google one for our EcoCampus club: sites.google.com/site/ecocampusuic. I'm the executive artist and an author for a peer-reviewed medical journal, JPHAS, an illustrator for an art journal, and a tutor at our Honors College.
- Graduated Cum Laude from NYU Stern (double major in Finance & Statistics) - Stats TF (teaching fellow) during Junior and Senior year - Interned at Credit Suisse (global investment bank) as an Investment Banking summer analyst junior year - Worked at BNP Paribas (global investment bank) as a Fixed Income Derivatives trader after graduating - Currently working at Convexity Capital Management as a Fixed Income derivatives trader ($15 billion hedge fund run the former team that managed Harvard University's endowment fund for 15+ yrs.)
- Taught English abroad in China. Learning Chinese. Applying to medical school. Internship in college at Midwest Orthopaedics in downtown Chicago.
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, with a minor in Political Science. Pursuing a degree in corporate law.
- Bachelors of Science in Economics concentrating in Marketing and Environmental Policy and Management. Working as a consultant for IBM in their Strategy and Transformation practice.
- University of Missouri with a BA in Journalism. Masters in Journalism from U Missouri as well. Now working for Newsy- a multisource video company as a managing editor and anchor.
- Presented synthetic organic chemistry research at an undergraduate conference hosted by the Midstates Consortium for Math and Science. Presenting at the American Chemical Society symposium next spring(2015). Recipient of the Goldwater Scholarship, which is a national scholarship for those pursuing doctorates and a career in a research science. Captain of the NCAA DIII softball team, Dean's list, academic all-conference. Award from the public center for anthropology for an essay. Link to my presentation at the symposium. http://youtu.be/cxv04AGnCcc
- Studied abroad in Kenya for a semester, started a computer training program for teachers and students at a school in the western slums of Nairobi, graduated with a degree in Strategic Professional Communications and went back to Kenya for six months to continue the program I started, plus to implement a teacher development program. Now live in DC and work for ONE, an international advocacy organization that fights extreme poverty in Africa-- I work directly for the CEO and travel around the world for meetings and events with our board of directors.
- Graduated with honors with a BA in English writing, inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, interned as a grant writer at the Quad City Botanical Center, Studied abroad in Vietnam, co-Editor-in-Chief of Augustana’s art and literary magazine. Won the English Department's creative writing award.
- BS in Chemistry and Biology, cum laude currently pursuing a MS in Medical Biotechnology, for which I received a UIC tuition waiver, and have some publications (3 others in press)
Therapeutic Potential of T-oligo and its Mechanism of Action | Open Access | OMICS Publishing Group